Join Our Team
Program Director position
GridLab is a non-profit with a vision of enabling grid transformation for a clean energy future. We are a small and dynamic organization with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for clean energy. We are in search of a Program Director to expand our impact and grow our team. GridLab’s mission is to remove technical barriers to decarbonizing our energy system, and we have helped over 25 organizations in the past two years. Come join our small but mighty team!
The Program Director reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for leading GridLab’s technical assistance work, authoring reports, and building GridLab’s credibility as a thought leader. Our technical assistance includes expert testimony in Integrated Resource Planning and Grid Modernization dockets; engagement in NERC, FERC and selected RTO activities in support of clean energy and grid transformation; and work on power systems modeling, market design and grid operating practices. GridLab supports national, regional, and local clean energy advocates, as well as regulators and policymakers. GridLab’s technical assistance platform is supported by a network of over 60 independent consultants and firms with recognized power systems knowledge.
The Program Director is responsible for leading GridLab’s technical assistance work, cultivating and managing the network of experts, and leading broader GridLab initiatives.
The core job responsibilities include:
- Lead and direct GridLab technical assistance projects
- Lead GridLab’s RTO engagement
- Address areas where GridLab can reduce technical barriers to clean energy deployment
- Develop and assist with deployment of training webinars and in person events, either by GridLab experts or staff
- Manage and maintain the relationship with GridLab’s “network of experts”
- Grow the organization in collaboration with the Executive Director and Program Manager
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST HAVE
- Deep expertise in energy technology, markets, and policy
- Experience scoping and managing engineers and other experts
- Excellent writing skills
- Self-starter who can work with Executive Director to set and execute priorities
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to plan, organize and prioritize workload and
handle several tasks simultaneously
- Passion for clean energy
- Engineering background
- Policy training and/or experience
- Experience working with clean energy advocacy groups, policymakers, or regulators
- Experience with expert testimony and PUC processes
- Experience with power system modeling
- Experience with NERC reliability standards
- Experience with one or more ISO/RTOs.
This position is based at GridLab’s Berkeley CA office (WeWork). This is a full-time salaried position, with excellent benefits. Travel is anticipated, roughly 10 trips per year. We are looking for a candidate who can start before the end of the year, earlier is preferred.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the job to email@example.com. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage leaders of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide writing and work product samples.
GridLab is a not for profit organization dedicated to providing expertise for grid transformation. This is an opportunity to engage at a time when GridLab is growing and to help define its mission. Our approach has been highly effective and has resulted in significant wins in a short period of time. Since
July 2017, GridLab has executed 50 projects in venues covering 20 states, multiple regional transmission operators (RTOs), and at the North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). These projects have supported 25 different advocacy organizations, both national and regional. These projects have had measurable impact on the future of state and national clean energy policy and range from articulating a low carbon future and helping to drive 100% legislation in Minnesota to educating stakeholders and regulators on a flawed grid modernization plan from a major utility in Virginia. More information about GridLab can be found at gridlab.org.